EMPOWER (Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor) is seeking to appoint an outstanding individual committed to human rights, with ICT experience, as Project Officer.
POSITION: Project Officer (Resource Development & Monitoring)
Project title: Networking for freedom online and offline: protecting freedom of information, expression and association on the internet in Malaysia
About EMPOWER: We are an organisation that believes in helping to build a democratic society in Malaysia. We work together with women to facilitate changes, especially in women’s leadership and representation. We promote and support actions that advance justice and democracy, based on feminist and human rights principles, to enable women and youth to realise their own potential.
About the project: “Networking for freedom online and offline” aims to protect and promote respect for human rights on the internet, particularly the right to information, the right to freedom of expression, the right to freedom of association and the right to freedom of assembly, in Malaysia.
- Planning, organising and implementing survey or research for monitoring and advocacy with the purpose of promoting women and human rights in Malaysia..
- Establish an agreed monitoring and evaluation framework for the actions.
- Develop and communicate the publicity materials from the survey or research activities
- Oversee and submit project financial management, including financial and narrative reporting.
- Working with Executive Director and country project coordinator in ensuring and delivering high quality implementation of the project.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have very high motivation and commitment to the vision, objectives and strategies of EMPOWER and supports advancement of human rights in Malaysia.
- Able to be strategic and analytical, with the ability to communicate her or his vision and ideas very well.
- Have strong leadership and social relationship abilities, both within the organisation and externally, particularly in developing networks with diverse civil society organisations, public and donor.
- Preferably have knowledge in the area of ICT and human rights; research, advocacy, monitoring and information development.
- Have led or managed a related national organisation or programme to achieve quality and innovative positive results;
- Have spoken and written communication skills in Bahasa Malaysia and English. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage;
- Possess at least three years of effective experience working, preferably in a human rights or media organisation in Malaysia.
Applicants with relevant experience and appropriate qualifications in human rights, ICT, social sciences, or other related fields should send an application letter with CV, academic transcripts, two work references, and samples of written work by email: email@example.com by 8 September 2014 (Monday) no later than 5:00 PM.
The application letter must address the selection criteria. Only shortlisted applicants shall be notified.