POSITION: Communications and Outreach Manager (full-time)
Deadline for Application: 30 April 2017
Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (EMPOWER) is seeking a Communications and Outreach Manager who is passionate about women’s political equality. Applicants need to be well versed in human rights, gender equality and governance issues. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate maturity, excellent communication, writing and interpersonal skills, and have a strong media and communication background.
The Communications and Outreach Manager is expected to:
- Lead the development of EMPOWER’s communication strategy and coordinate its implementation with programme officers and other relevant actors to advance EMPOWER’s vision and mission.
- Organise outreach campaigns and material that shall help promote EMPOWER’s visibility which will lead to greater awareness among the public of EMPOWER’s vision and mission.
- In cooperation with management and programme officers, lead in the identification and development of key communication messages that will support EMPOWER’s advocacies on human rights, gender equality and democratic governance.
- Initiate and coordinate responses to public issues pertaining to EMPOWER’s areas of work, and mission.
- Establish, update and grow EMPOWER’s network and database of human rights defenders and allies, including civil society organisations, government and media contacts.
- Foster relationships with key actors including editors and journalists, and other relevant actors covering all media, on- and off-line.
- Identify, develop and produce communication materials – video, print and multimedia content to enhance EMPOWER’s public relevance and visibility.
- Develop communication resources and advocacy material based on EMPOWER’s research with EMPOWER’s programme officers.
- Manage and maintain websites and social media platforms for EMPOWER.
- Identify, develop and manage key information and communication resources that would add value to EMPOWER’s work
- Develop and manage EMPOWER’s internship and volunteers programmes.
- Contribute to building networks and partnerships with civil society organisations, government agencies and other institutions.
The successful applicant will be joining a motivated, dedicated team of staff and executive committee with a diverse range of specialties and experiences. Our ideal candidate will:
- Be a Malaysian citizen.
- Be highly motivated and committed to the vision, mission and value statement of EMPOWER.
- Support the advancement of human rights, equality, and non-discrimination in Malaysia.
- Be strategic and analytical, with the ability to communicate ideas effectively.
- Have strong leadership and inter-personal skills, and be able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Have spoken and written communication skills in Bahasa Malaysia and English. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
- Possess experience in developing effective messaging and advocacy tools.
- Demonstrate general ICT skills and adequate technical knowledge in maintaining websites and other online platforms.
- Possess at least seven (7) years of effective experience working in media and communications and/or public relations. Applicants with less years of work experience may be considered dependent on demonstrated skills and past accomplishments.
Salary will commensurate with experience and the organisation’s salary scale. Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter with current and expected salary, and which addresses the threshold requirements.
- A comprehensive resume and copies of academic transcripts.
- Samples of written work and communication materials developed in Bahasa Malaysia and English.
- Contact information for two work references.
- A recent passport-sized photograph.
Applicants must submit their applications by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 April 2017 no later than 5:00 PM.
Please mark your subject line with “Application for Communications and Outreach Manager”. Only short-listed candidates will receive a notification for an interview. If you would like to speak with us, please e-mail us at the address above or call 03-7784 4977.
EMPOWER is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants from minority and marginalised groups, as well as those who are retired and seek to continue to contribute back to society.