Gerakan Hapus Akta Hasutan (GHAH) is a movement supported by over 132 civil society organisations in Malaysia, led by SUARAM, Lawyers for Liberty, Amnesty International Malaysia and IKRAM, among others. GHAH organises a national campaign to end threats posed by the colonial-era Sedition Act against the right to freedom of speech, academic freedom, and press freedom.
GHAH's three demands are:
- Repeal the Sedition Act 1948.
- Drop all existing charges and release all those who have been incarcerated under the Act.
- No replacement act with the same draconian provisions.
Media Statements (PDF)
- Memorandum: Withdraw amendments which make the Sedition Act a harsher tool of oppression (8 April 2015)
- 9 Pertuduhan Terhadap Zunar Adalah Bukti Salah Guna Kuasa Kerajaan (3 April 2015)
- GHAH urges Twitter users to report the IGP to Twitter for harassment (23 March 2015)
- Unnecessary Arrest of Lawyer Eric Paulsen over A Twitter Comment (14 January 2015)
- GHAH Urges Speaker and All Parliamentarians to Support People’s Petitions for Abolition of Sedition Act (23 November 2014)
- Prime Minister Najib Razak should keep to his promises to abolish the Sedition Act (7 November 2014)
- Attorney General must keep to his promise to review Sedition Charges (30 September 2014)
- Joint Statement on Abolish the Sedition Act and the Formation of Abolish the Sedition Act Movement/Gerakan Hapus Akta Hasutan (GHAH) | BM version | Chinese version (5 September 2014)