VACANCY: Executive Director (full-time)
VACANCY @ EMPOWER: Executive Director (Full-time)
Deadline for Application: 30 September 2018
About the Organisation
Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (EMPOWER) is a civil society organisation that promotes and supports actions that advance justice and democracy, based on feminist and human rights principles. Our core work is in the areas of women’s political participation and civil liberties; with a current focus on developing women leaders with a commitment to the principles of equality and non-discrimination, particularly among young women, indigenous women, and women in low-income communities. Through our civil liberties programmes, EMPOWER also works to strengthen human rights online and civil society engagement with the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process.
The organisation is registered as a society and has, as its governing body, a membership of individuals, represented by an executive committee.
Our office is located in Section 4, Petaling Jaya. Please refer to our website at www.empowermalaysia.org and social media accounts for more information.
EMPOWER’s Executive Director is expected to:
- Lead an organisation comprising of a team of staff, executive committee, and members through consultative and transparent processes.
- Develop and plan strategies and programmes for the organisation with the staff and executive committee.
- Motivate and manage a team of staff, with a view to develop their capacity, skills, and knowledge as organisation staff, and feminist and human rights activists.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate, with the Programme Manager, the progress of work and staff development against project plans and set indicators; and give appropriate feedback and guidance.
- Lead the organisation in advocacy work to strengthen gender equality, women’s political participation, human rights, and the eradication of discrimination against marginalised groups and communities.
- Represent the organisation in public events, meetings, conferences, media events, interviews, and articulate EMPOWER’s position.
- Maintain and strengthen networks with national, regional and international allies; including regional and international civil society organisations, UN bodies and mechanisms, and funders.
- Plan and implement, with the executive committee and Programme Manager, funding strategies.
As the EMPOWER Executive Director, you will be joining a motivated, dedicated team of staff and executive committee with a diverse range of specialities and experiences. Our ideal candidate will:
- Be a Malaysian citizen.
- Possess a university degree in a related field, e.g. women’s studies, human rights, etc.
- Have 5-8 years’ experience in senior management positions in civil society organisations, and familiar with financial management and planning, human resource management, and donor relations.
- Have a proven track record in organisational leadership, development, and strategic planning, and timely implementation of programmes.
- Have prior experience in fundraising in the non-profit sector
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity and professionalism. A proven track record in transparent and consultative decision-making will be an advantage.
- Have strong people management skills, including in working with a diverse range of individuals, defusing conflict and motivating a team to find solutions in challenging situations.
- Have excellent communications skills, both written and oral. Fluency in English and proficiency in Bahasa Malaysia are a must.
- Have experience in human rights advocacy and/or community mobilisation, and networking.
- Have knowledge in and commitment to gender equality, human rights, democratic participation, and the empowerment of marginalised communities. Applicant must demonstrate the ability to accept and work with diversity in practice – including religious, cultural, gender, sexuality, language, and disabilities.
- Have experience in engaging with regional and international human rights mechanisms, in particular the UN human rights system.
Salary will commensurate with experience and the organisation’s salary scale. Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter with current and expected salary.
- A comprehensive resume and copies of academic transcripts, highlighting qualifications and skills related to the position advertised.
- Copies of written publications, e.g. in academic journals, articles, citations and participation that can demonstrate leadership, outreach and contributions towards the promotion of women’s rights in particular, and human rights in general.
- A personal statement, not more than 800 words.
- Reference letters from two referees, preferably supervisors or representatives of governing bodies in previous workplaces, focused on leadership, management and knowledge; and one contact details for one other person who can provide character reference.
- A recent passport-sized photograph.
Applicants must submit their applications by e-mail to:
Please mark your subject line with “Application for Executive Director”. Only short-listed candidates will receive a notification for an interview. If you would like to speak with us, please e-mail us at the address above or call 03-7784 4977.